What's In The Box
- Naked Montie Gear Y-Shot Slingshot with side plates - No finish on the outside
- Single Band
- Paracord for handle wrap
- All required screws and washers
- 50 pieces of 3/8" Steel Ball ammo
- Braiding instructions for handle wrap
- 1/2" water jet aluminum frame
- Naked - You paint or coat the frame and side plates
- 550 paracord for handle wrap
- 16 lbs pull weight with 28" draw tapered Thera-Band Gold band with leather pouch assembly
- Easy band replacement with removable side plates
- Fires up to 1/2" ball bearings
- Stainless steel fittings
- 50 x 3/8" steel ball bearings
- Made in USA - Troublesome Gap tough
Slingshot Weight & Dimensions
- 6 ounces
- 6.75" x 3.625" x .5" (L x W @ forks x D)
- 3.5" handle length
- 2.25" inside fork width at center
- Digital Desert Camo
- Digital Woodland Camo
- Safety Orange
- Zombie Green
This kit contains everything you need to make your Montie Gear Y-Shot exactly how you want it. The unpainted, unfinished frame and side plates allow you to go all out with a custom paint job or finish. Follow the included standard paracord weave instructions for the handle, or get creative and do a unique design of your own making. Make it your own!
Be the coolest kid on the block again with our Montie Gear exclusive Y-Shot high tech slingshot! The Montie Gear Y-Shot slingshot was designed with high performance capabilities without compromising on design. This high tech slingshot is capable of shooting a 3/8" bearing at speeds of up to 150 feet per second with great accuracy.
The frame is water jet from a solid piece of 1/2" aluminum sheet, allowing the slingshot to be dramatically lighter all while delivering the sturdiest frame possible. This along with the removable side plates, allows for the use of many types of bands. Do not be afraid to equip your Y-Shot slingshot with one of our double bands for an impressive 35 lbs pull weight!
A paracord braided handle delivers a more comfortable grip, even at maximum pull weight. When in a pinch, the long lengths of paracord become invaluable; Having a cord that can do just about anything you ask of it could mean the difference between life or death!
The Montie Gear Y-Shot slingshot is perfect for hunting small game, target practice, home defense, or even just chasing off those pesky deer and other rodents that are terrorizing your garden. We ask that you use a smaller caliber ball bearing for the latter so that no harm is done to the animal.
The frame is water jet cut from aluminum for strength, and anodized or powder coated for durability and quality surface finish. Paracord with a 550lb breaking strength is used to wrap the slingshot handle. Heli-coil inserts are used to strengthen the threads for the side plate stainless steel screws, allowing for easy band replacement throughout the life of the slingshot, without worry of stripping the threads. This allows us to proudly claim that the Y-Shot slingshot is Heirloom Quality, Troublesome Gap Tough and Made in America.
- A classic slingshot configuration with a rugged modern twist
- Naked frame - Paint and wrap the Montie Gear Y-Shot how you want!
- Fully capable and ready to accept a multitude of Montie Gear attachments to improve your capabilities
- Frame is lightweight but engineered for strength, using a water jet process to cut the pieces from a sheet of 6061 Aluminum
- Flat bands provide high performance
- This slingshot is capable of holding the included high performance flat bands as well as a variety of other bands, including homemade ones (think inner tube if you were in a pinch)
- Slingshot easily stores in your "go bag" or backpack, or on your waist with our specially designed holster
- Product is locally made in North Carolina from North Carolina and US made components.
Did you go all out with this D.I.Y. Y-Shot kit? Have an amazing slingshot paint design or paracord weave that you want to share with the world? Let us know! Send us some pictures and we will feature it on our website!
A Slingshot is Born
The journey to make the Y-Shot starts off at a place called ADR Hydrocut in Morrisville, NC. They cut out the body from 1/2" thick aluminum using a water jet. A water jet uses a 50,000 psi stream of water and abrasive to cut the body of the y-shot from the 1/2" thick 6061 aluminum. The water jet is a process that doesn't generate heat so the properties of the billet aluminum are maintained.
We then take the parts and bring them back to our shop where they are tumbled to remove any burrs. Normally we would then take the batch of slingshots to Triangle Coatings in Raleigh, NC for powder coat, but that is not the case for this kit! These frames are uncoated to give you the highest amount of customization we can. Apply your own paint job or coating for a custom look and feel.
After, machining the band retention plate mounting holes, a stainless steel heli-coil is inserted into the thread. The heli-coil provides a stainless steel thread instead of just bare aluminum. This means that you get the lightweight aluminum frame but the tough stainless steel threads that allow you to replace bands for decades to come without worry of stripping the threads. This is a step that shows our commitment to your experience while shooting our Y-Shot.
The bands are made a few miles away in Asheville, NC. Once this is complete, your Montie Gear Y-Shot slingshot is ready for decades of use. We really mean it when we designed this product for you to pass along to your grand children.
Not only will your grand children appreciate our build quality, but they will absolutely love your custom touches! Follow our instructions on how to weave the paracord for that classic Y-Shot handle, or get creative and figure out your own custom weave to make that Y-Shot even more your own.
How to replace your slingshot band
Upon purchase, receipt, and/or use, you (the user) agree to hold harmless Montie Inc., Montie Gear (www.montiegear.com), and Montie Design (www.montie.com), and its owner and offices, heirs, or employees of any and all product liability. You agree that the above-mentioned will not be held responsible or liable for any consequential, direct or indirect or special loss, injury, or accidents caused by the slingshots, bands, pouch, ammo or other items that we produce, promote, and/or sell. In all cases, the user assumes full responsibility and all risk associated with the use of our products. It is your (the user's) responsibility to check local laws in order to be compliant with the slingshot, or other products that we produce, promote, and/or sell. Our products are not to be purchased by anyone under 18 years of age. We strongly advise parents to supervise their children at all times whenever they are using slingshots.
Care and Maintenance
- Always examine the band and pouch before use for small nicks, tears, or punctures that may cause the band to break. If you find any flaws, immediately discard the product and replace before use.
- Before use, check that screws are tight and band is secure and evenly distributed between the frame and side plate
- Store all bands out of direct sunlight and away from extreme temperatures. This is important to maximize the life of the band, especially in storage.
- Never use rocks or other sharp objects as ammunition. Rocks and sharp objects will damage the band and pouch.
- After contact with chlorinated water, rinse the bands with tap water and dry flat.
- If the bands becomes sticky, clean with mild soap and water, dry flat, and then dust with talcum powder.
Note: Please keep in mind that the slingshot bands are made from a natural material. This means that we have no way of predicting the life of the band. Even the best maintained bands can fail inexplicably or have a short life time. Despite our best efforts, using high quality industry standard materials and testing; approximately 1% of the bands fail early. As a result we strongly encourage you to purchase extra bands. We do not provide a warranty of any kind on bands.
Meet the Staff
The Montie Gear staff works hard to provide you with a truly heirloom quality and high performance. Montie Gear is made locally so, if you wanted to meet everyone that worked hard to make your slingshot and see all the processes that went into the product, then we can arrange that! This is a benefit that few companies can offer. Contact us to set up a tour.
About the Designer
Nicholas Alexander Pennington received his undergraduate degree in Industrial Design from North Carolina State University in May 2013. Nicholas has a bold, determined attitude and perspective on the design process. This unique perspective and his passion for unique products led him to become a finalist in the 2011 Montie Design Contest, and an intern for Montie Design during the summer of 2011. Pennington specializes in 3D modeling, sculptures, and dynamic products such as knives, military and defense products, and tools.