Bill's Ferrocerium Firestarter with Fatwood Handle, Handmade
Always have a way to start a fire, even if you have no kindling or easily ignitable material available.
A ferrocerium rod mounted in a fatwood handle helps to quickly start a fire. The handle has a clear finish for a long life. This product is made by Mountain Man Bill in Apex, NC, USA. This is one of those really neat items where it looks like piece of artwork, but is very handy.
Each one is handmade. Each handle is slightly different, so yours will be unique.
For more detailed information about Bill's Ferrocerium Firestarter, check out the Description tab below!
What's In The Box
- Handmade fatwood block with embedded ferrocerium rod
- Paracord lanyard
- A hand-cut piece of fatwood used as the handle with a clear finish for weather/oil protection
- A ferrocerium rod for an easy way to create sparks for a fire
- A thick paracord lanyard
- Made in USA - Troublesome Gap tough
Slingshot Weight & Dimensions
All items are handmade, and as such, the below values are estimates.
- 4 ounces
- Handle - 3.5" x 1.25" x 1.25"
- Ferrocerium Rod - 2.5" x ø0.325"
Each item is handmade by Bill himself, and as such, the end product may not look exactly like the pictures above.
Bill's Ferrocerium Firestarter is a perfect addition to your camping or hiking gear. Never be without kindling or a way to create a spark again! Easily just carve off small curls of the fatwood handle with a knife, then light with the ferrocerium rod to create a quick flame.
Fatwood is the heartwood of pine trees which is impregnated with resin which makes the wood hard and rot-resistant. The resin contains terpene, which is very flammable, allowing for fires to be started with fatwood pieces even when in wet or windy environments. The fatwood easily burns hot enough to light larger pieces of wood to allow you to easily start a fire.
Each product is handmade by Mountain Man Bill here in Apex, NC, USA. Every handle is hand-cut and every ferrocerium rod is hand-laid into every handle. Each piece of fatwood is covered in a clear finish to add that extra weatherability to the already naturally weather-resistant attributes of the fatwood. Finally, a paracord lanyard is added to one end of the fatwood handle to allow for easy carrying in your bag, on a lanyard, or many other locations!
- A classic slingshot configuration with a rugged modern twist
- Naked frame - Paint and wrap the Montie Gear Y-Shot how you want!
- Fully capable and ready to accept a multitude of Montie Gear attachments to improve your capabilities
- Frame is lightweight but engineered for strength, using a water jet process to cut the pieces from a sheet of 6061 Aluminum
- Flat bands provide high performance
- This slingshot is capable of holding the included high performance flat bands as well as a variety of other bands, including homemade ones (think inner tube if you were in a pinch)
- Slingshot easily stores in your "go bag" or backpack, or on your waist with our specially designed holster
- Product is locally made in North Carolina from North Carolina and US made components.
Did you go camping/hiking with Bill's Ferrocerium Rod with Fatwood Handle? Have an amazing shot that you want to share with the world? Let us know! Send us some pictures and we will feature it on our website!
Meet the Staff
The Montie Gear staff works hard to provide you with a truly heirloom quality and high performance. Montie Gear is made locally so, if you wanted to meet everyone that worked hard to make your slingshot and see all the processes that went into the product, then we can arrange that! This is a benefit that few companies can offer. Contact us to set up a tour.
About the Designer
Bill is a resident of Apex, NC, but that does not mean his heart lies elsewhere.